Who We Are, And Why You Should Join Us
The Massachusetts Association of Housing Cooperatives (MAHC) seeks to broaden the awareness of cooperatives among all stakeholders in Massachusetts. MAHC will provide information and services to current housing cooperatives and make the entire community aware of the benefits of this form of housing.
In addition, MAHC will strive to improve the status of cooperatives in the Commonwealth by:
• working with government regulators at both state and local levels to improve opportunities and remove obstacles.
• advancing legislation which would be helpful to Cooperatives and deterring adverse legislation.
• creating a large “tent” of cooperatives to stimulate the formation of new housing cooperatives.
• sharing information, resources and best practices
MAHC is an outgrowth of the efforts in recent years to turn back legislation which would have restricted housing cooperatives, requiring them to comply with rules that no other form of housing is burdened with. This campaign was difficult but successful, and included the retention of an experienced lobbyist. Despite this success, cooperatives need to be constantly vigilant to avoid future threats.
MAHC is a not-for-profit “Section 501(c)(6) organization which seeks membership from ALL branches of the housing cooperative world such as market rate cooperatives, artists’ and limited equity cooperatives. The designation of 501(c)(6) grants MAHC the right to engage in legislative advocacy as needed.
MAHC was legally formed in 2014 and is administered by a Board which meets monthly. Some benefits of membership:
• Established cooperatives can exchange information and provide advice to new cooperatives or small cooperatives about how to manage their affairs.
• A greater presence in the State Legislature and Boston City Hall, partly to promote favorable legislation and also to oppose adverse legislation.
• There is also the possibility that a large MAHC can provide “purchasing power” for services and products, and encourage more banks to extend financing to cooperative purchasers and owners, as well as other financially beneficial opportunities.
We welcome your participation as a member of MAHC. By design, dues have been set at an affordable rate for all cooperatives - $5 per apartment in the cooperative.